Juventus facing a lost battle over Higuain – De Laurentiis

The Argentina international has been strongly linked to a move to the Serie A champions, but Napoli have no intention of letting him go unless their rivals break the bank

Juventus have no intention of meeting Gonzalo Higuain’s release clause of €94million, general director Giuseppe Marotta has confirmed.

The Turin club have been heavily linked with a move for the Argentina international but Napoli have been consistent in their stance that they would not sell.

Marotta met with Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis at the first Lega Calcio meeting of the season on Monday after which he admitted defeat in his pursuit of the former Real Madrid striker.

“For now the Higuain matter is closed. I can confirm that we will not pay the clause,” he told reporters.

De Laurentiis had earlier claimed Juve’s interest in Higuain had cooled.

“Marotta told me that Juventus won’t activate the €94million clause for Higuain,” said De Laurentiis.

“No club has offered €94million up to now, it’s just trash press reports that hurt football fans.


GOALREAD MORE  | Allegri warns Pogba over Juve exit


“Juventus are very intelligent and they understand that they cannot do this. They know perfectly well that it is a lost battle.”

Higuain’s brother and agent Nicolas said last month that his client would not be renewing his contract with last season’s Serie A runners-up, which has two years left to run.

The club, however, have been adamant that little has changed regarding the 28-year-old striker, who scored 36 league goals in 2015-16.

“Gonzalo never said he wanted to leave,” Napoli’s head of communications Nicola Lombardo said at a question-and-answer session with supporters at the club’s training base in Dimaro.

“He will be here in Dimaro to start pre-season on July 25.”

Napoli demand Juventus pay €94.7m for Higuain

Aurelio De Laurentiis has told Juve director Beppe Marotta that he will have to meet the striker’s release clause if the Serie A champions want to sign him this summer


Napoli have told Juventus they will not negotiate with Juventus over the sale of Gonzalo Higuain, insisting that the Serie A champions will have to meet the Argentine’s €94.7 million release clause, Goal understands.

The first Lega Calcio meeting of the season for Italian league clubs began on Monday, where Juve’s general director Beppe Marotta and Napoli chairman Aurelio De Laurentiis discussed the striker’s potential transfer.

The Serie A champions are keen to quickly conclude a deal for Higuain, which would be their club-record signing, having already agreed personal terms with the player.


GOALREAD MORE  | ‘Higuain to Juve good for Serie A’


However, the Partenopei remain defiant over their desire to hold onto last season’s Serie A top scorer and are demanding that the star attacker’s full clause is paid in just two instalments, insisting that they will not accept anything less.

Furthermore, they have dismissed the idea of accepting any exchanges with Bianconeri players, with Juve ready to offer Roberto Pereyra and Simone Zaza as part of a deal.

Higuain is hoping to seal a move to Turin, having already told Juve he is prepared to sign a four-year contract worth €7m per year.

Higuain to Juventus good for Serie A, says Roma boss Spalletti

The Bianconeri are hoping to land the Argentine striker before the close of the transfer window, and the Roma coach believes everyone will benefit from the move

Roma coach Luciano Spalletti believes Serie A will benefit from Gonzalo Higuain leaving Napoli to join Juventus.

The Italian champions are hoping to lure last season’s top scorer from the side who finished second in 2015-16.

Massimiliano Allegri’s men have already reached an agreement with the Argentine over a four year contract, but are yet to finalise a deal with the Partenopei, with reports in Italy stating they will have to match his €94.7 million release clause to secure the signing.

Spalletti is hoping to lead a title challenge with Roma in the coming campaign, but he has spoken out in favour of the Bianconeri signing the striker who netted 36 goals in the top flight last term, insisting it would make the league a lot stronger.


GOALREAD MORE  | Juve prepared for Bonucci and Pogba exits


“Higuain joining Juventus would raise the overall quality of Serie A,” he told Sky Sport Italia.

“Juventus would have another huge champion and attempt to win the Champions League, giving them the highest ambitions.

“Consequently, Napoli would use that money to build an equally strong squad and bring in four or five top quality players.”

Higuain has not asked to leave, insist Napoli

The Partenopei claim the in-demand marksman has not requested a move away and have also confirmed their Serie A rivals Juventus are yet to make an offer for his services

Napoli have insisted that Gonzalo Higuain has not asked to leave and have also confirmed Juventus are yet to put in a request to sign him.

The Argentina international, who has a release clause worth €94million (£79m), has been heavily linked with both Serie A champions Juve and Arsenal this summer.

Higuain’s brother and agent Nicolas said last month that his client would not be renewing his contract with last season’s Serie A runners-up Napoli, which has two years left to run.

But despite the frenzied links with domestic rivals Juve, Napoli have stressed that little has changed regarding the 28-year-old striker, who scored a stunning 36 league goals in 2015-16.

“Gonzalo never said he wanted to leave,” Napoli’s head of communications Nicola Lombardo said at a Q&A with supporters at the club’s training base in Dimaro.


GOALREAD MORE  | Callejon hopes for Higuain stay


“Juve have never asked for him and [President] Aurelio De Laurentiis does not want to sell him.

“We are talking about rumours that are fuelled by the press, who write story upon story. But he will be here in Dimaro to start pre-season on July 25.”

Juve boss Massimiliano Allegri did little to dampen rumours of a swoop for Higuain when asked about the former Real Madrid star on Saturday, saying that “great players are always welcome” at his club.

The Turin side’s director Fabio Paratici, meanwhile, hinted a move could be possible but stressed that no offers had yet been made.

Callejon hoping Higuain stays at Napoli amid Juventus links

The Argentina ace has been linked with a switch away from the San Paolo but his Spanish team-mate does not believe the striker wants to leave and is praying he remains at the club

Jose Callejon does not believe Gonzalo Higuain is seeking a move away from Napoli and is hopeful his in-demand team-mate will stay put.

Higuain topped Serie A’s goalscoring charts last term and the Argentina international has since been linked with a move away from Naples, with Italian champions Juventus emerging as a shock destination.

Napoli have quashed reports linking the 28-year-old, who has two years remaining on his contract, to Juve and Callejon is determined to see Higuain remain in Naples ahead of the new season.

“I want him to stay here at Napoli,” Callejon said.


GOALREAD MORE  | Higuain welcome at Juve – Allegri


“I have played with him for the last three seasons, two at Napoli and one at Real Madrid, and I now have a strong relationship with him.

“I have not heard anything from Higuain that he wants to leave. A lot of the news at this time of year is just mere speculation. It would be a shame if he is not with us next season.”

Higuain scored 36 goals in Serie A last season – an all-time record in Italian top flight history – as Napoli finished second behind Juventus.