The former West Germany defender says the young Brazilian will never become one of the world’s best players unless he moves across the Atlantic
Bayern Munich legend Paul Breitner feels that Santos striker Neymar needs to move to a top European club in order to maximise his potential.
The Brazil international has been widely linked with a variety of the continent’s top clubs and the former West Germany star believes he needs to make the move to take the next step.
“No one knows his true potential. He needs to play every day against players like [Franck] Ribery and Cristiano Ronaldo to know whether he’s a true star or not,” Bretiner told ESPN Brasil.
“I’d like to see Neymar playing in Europe, because no one knows how good he is. Not even he knows that.
“Becoming a star only in Brazil is not enough. He needs to prove his class, his level, his skills, where the best football is being played at the moment, and that’s in Europe.”
The 61-year-old cited Barcelona forward Lionel Messi as an example of a South American who took his career to the higher level by moving across the Atlantic Ocean.
“I find it funny when I read that he wants to be the best in the world playing here. Messi wouldn’t have become the best player in the word if he had stayed in Argentina. And Neymar won’t either.”
Among the clubs linked closest with a move for Neymar are Bayern, Barcelona and Real Madrid.
The Blancos boss says discussions over whether or not he stays at the club beyond the season’s end are yet to begin
Jose Mourinho says that discussions over his future at Real Madrid with club president Florentino Perez will start when the current season has ended.
It has been widely rumoured that the Portuguese will leave the club in May after reported rifts with senior squad members but the 50-year-old says nothing has been decided yet.
“When the season ends I will sit down with who I have to sit down with Perez, who as well as being the president is also my friend and is the legal and emotional representative of all Real Madrid fans,” he told ITV.
“We will sit down quietly and talk about my future, like two friends.”
Despite losing 3-2 to Galatasaray on Tuesday, the Spanish side booked their place in the last four of the Champions League, with a 5-3 aggregate victory.
The former Porto coach, who has been linked with Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea this season, with the latter in search of a new manager should Rafael Benitez leave the Londoners as expected.
Mourinho has however, recently ruled out a return Inter, where he spent two years, winning the treble in 2009-10.
The Portugal international was pleased with his side’s progression to the Champions League semi-finals after a 5-3 aggregate win over Galatasaray
Pepe believes that progressing to the Champions League semi-finals was all that mattered during Real Madrid’s 5-3 aggregate win over Galatasaray.
Jose Mourinho’s men were beaten 3-2 by Gala at the Turk Telekom Arena on Tuesday, but still comfortably progressed to the semi-finals after winning the first leg 3-0 last week.
“The most important thing is that we have got through to the next round,” the Portugal defender was quoted as saying on the club’s official website.
“The team fought hard and made a big effort. We are very happy to get through the tie.
“In the first half we started very well. It is true that we dropped the intensity a little in the second half and we weren’t as good, but we improved at the end.”
The defender then went on to praise Cristiano Ronaldo following his double on Tuesday.
“He’s amazing. He’s doing a great job, he helps us a lot and we hope he keeps doing so.”
Ronaldo has netted 11 goals in 10 Champions League appearances so far this term.
The veteran attacker believes the Turkish champions should have done better at the Santiago Bernabeu and saw no reason to be happy with his goal
Didier Drogba has voiced his disappointment with Galatasaray’s Champions League elimination at the hands of Real Madrid as he feels the Istanbul giants could have made it to the semi-finals had their first-leg performance been more like their display in Tuesday’s return.
Galatasaray’s 3-2 victory at the Turk Telekom Arena proved to be insufficient after the 3-0 loss at the Santiago Bernabeu last week and Drogba once more rued Cimbom‘s first-leg performance.
“It was a really good game but it would have been even better if we’d managed to qualify. If we’d played like that in the first leg the score might have been different,” Drogba was quoted as saying on the official Uefa website.
“We saw again tonight that the fans here are extraordinary. It’s a shame but I think Madrid deserved it. Them scoring so early set us back but in the second half we showed after scoring that we believed in ourselves.”
The Cote d’Ivoire attacker netted once on Tuesday but he stressed that he would have preferred to progress to the next round rather than score.
“[My goal] is not so important because we are out. I don’t like to score and be out – for me it doesn’t mean anything.”
Galatasaray resume domestic action against Kardemir Karabuk at the weekend.
The Potters are currently battling against relegation at the foot of the Premier League and the Welsh manager admits he would sign the star duo if he possessed an open chequebook
Tony Pulis has claimed that he would sign Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo if he was provided with an open chequebook, insisting that the duo suit Stoke City’s style of play.
The Potters are embroiled in a relegation battle at the foot of the Premier League and sit just three points clear of 18th-placed Wigan, who have a game in hand on their rivals, with six matches remaining in the 2012-13 campaign.
Tottenham winger Bale is attracting interest from the likes of Manchester United and Real Madrid with his outstanding performances this season and Pulis is adamant that the Welshman, and Madrid superstar Ronaldo, would be a perfect match for Stoke.
“If I had an open chequebook and someone said you can have Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale, people of that ilk, fine – they would suit my style brilliantly. But we’re Stoke City and we work within a budget we can afford,” the Potters boss told reporters.
“A lot people have an opinion about my style and, yes, I do like to move the ball quickly. My preference is to play with width and have people down the sides with pace.
“I want us to get the ball out to players who can excite the crowd. I want to encourage wingers to run down the pitch and get crosses in and I like to see centre-forwards in the box putting those chances away.
“But it’s about who you can afford to bring in. You don’t just wake up one morning and say ‘We’re changing our entire style of playing today.
“It takes time for a club to evolve – three, four, maybe even five years in some cases. You can’t just sign two players and say we’re a different side now. It’s like turning the QE2 – it has to be done gradually.”